Louisville's Newest Restaurants Opening in 2019
Happy New Year! This will be a year of growth for the city, and many new projects. In the coming month, I plan to highlight some of the growth in Louisville, and today, I'm sharing information on some of the new restaurants and bars opening in 2019.
An even larger variety will be added to the extensive dining scene including the addition of a beer hall, pho cafe, and alcohol-infused ice cream lounge! Here is a list of what you can look forward to.
1. Biscuit Belly - LouVino owners Chad and Lauren Coulter are planning this new bicuit concept in NuLu.
2. Fountain on Fourth Ice Cream Lounge - The ice cream shop known for their alcohol-infused treats in relocating to the Highlands.
3. Barry's Cheesesteaks - Barry Washington, the owner, is working on his 2nd location in Old Louisville on Second St.
4. Bandido Taqueria Mexicana - West Coast style taqueria is planning a 2nd location within Falls City Brewing...
Winter Family Fun
There are several options and fun activities for families during the Winter months in Louisville, KY. Of course there are plenty of things to do through out the year in Kentucky, but I wanted to focus on the winter months as school is almost out of session.
1.Go Sledding! Anytime the snow accumulates, families will be at the parks with sleds, taking advantage of the free fun. Cherokee Park is a local favorite slope, but you can find plenty of hills through out the city.
2. Hike in a Kentucky State Park. Bundle up so you'll be comfortable staying outside, but the winter can be a beautiful time to get fresh air and take in the scenic hills of Kentucky. Cumberland Falls State Resort Park in Corbin, KY is always a hit! When the skies are clear, you can even catch the moonbow, a lunar rainbow. The Garvin Brown Nature Preserve, located in Prospect is...
Apple Orchards in Louisville, KY
My family has a tradition of picking apples every Fall which started when my twin daughters were only 8 months old. Each year, we bring the family out to our favorite apple orchard to sample fresh cider from the market, take photos on the over-sized adirondack chair, and pick apples. Watching the girls reach their sweet their arms for their favorite apples, and then bite right into them is one of my favorite moments of the year. I have countless photos of them picking apples from their dad's shoulders, and holding hands under the apple trees. We typically leave the farm with a few bags of apples and we all enjoy apples with our lunch or sliced apples with peanut butter for dessert.
Best Ice Cream in Louisville
With temps soaring back into the 90's this week, I am already planning my best attempt to beat the heat. I have taste-tested (you're welcome) and come up with the top 10 places to get ice cream in Louisville.
10. Homemade Ice Cream & Pie Kitchen - With 9 ocations accross Louisville, Southern Indiana, and Shelbyville, KY. The recipes have been handed down (the company started in 1982) and all of the baking is scratch-made, and the ice cream is fresh churned. From ice cream to pies, cakes, cookies, upside down cupcakes and more. If they sell it, it's fresh! They start baking every morning at 4 a.m. Personal Favorite Flavor: Peanut Butter Fudge
9. Louisville Cream - A small batch gourmet ice cream company. They carry salted butter caramel, bourbon smoked pecan, the red queen, and peanut butter feelings year round as well as explore new flavors and rotate seasonal menu options. You can find the icecream in Whole Foods, Rainbow Blossom stores,...
Summer Fun and Festivals in Louisville
School is out, the days are longer, and the festivals are planned. I have a line up of fun and festivals for you to check out this summer.
Lyndon Summer Festival (June 15-16) Carnival rides, food trucks, pony rides, free concerts, and activities for the kids.
Riverview Independence Festival - Riverview Park (June 30) Festivities begin at 3pm. Listen to Country music, let the children play, mingle with the Louisville Mascots, and take advnatge of the patriotic photo booth. The fantastic firework show begins at 10:00 pm over the Ohio River.
Forecastle Festival - Watertower Park (July 13-15) World...
Best Coffee in Louisville
Recently, I have aquired a new addiction (er. I mean, love) for coffee. My current pace keeps me busy, and there is something so comforting and uplifting about a good cup of coffee. It can keep me going for hours, and a good coffee shop is the perfect place to meet with clients.
Here are some of the best Coffee Shops broken down by location:
Safai Coffee is a quiet gem located on Bardstown Road that offers a variety of coffee, adult beverages, and delicious food. You’ll find hand-crafted fine coffee with several roasting options. This is not a shop unique to Louisville; rather their coffee is available all across the nation and world. They have high standards, and dedication to the craft that they promise to deliver the perfect cup.
Quills Coffee believes the coffee shop is just as important as...
Kentucky Derby Festival Events
The Kentucky Derby festival stretches "the most exciting two minutes in sports" into a month-long party! Celebrating Spring and the Kentucky Derby with fun and exciting events including Thunder over Louisville, a marathon, Hot-Air Balloon events, The Great Steamboat Race, and the Pegasus Parade. This past weekend kicked off the festival with the Fillies Derby Ball, and the upcoming weekend is packed with some of the most popular events of the festival. Here is a little run down of what to expect and when.
April 19-29: Stock Yards Bank $1 Million Dollar Hole-In-One Golf Contest at Seneca Golf Course Driving Range
April 21: Thunder over Louisville is one of the largest annual fireworks show in the country and features one of the nation’s top air shows. Entertainment begins at 11:00am and lasts...
Top Parks to Visit this Spring
The sun is finally shining in Kentucky, and your kiddos might be begging to get outside and soak up the fresh air. Studies show fresh air can boost your immune system; clear your lungs, improve digestion, boost your energy, and brighten your mood. Luckily, the Louisville Parks and Recreation Department has many ways for you to enjoy the outdoors with your friends and family. Louisville Parks and Rec boasts 12,000 acres, 120 parks, 70 miles of hiking trails, and 60 miles of paved trails!
My very favorite park in Louisville, is Long Run Park on Flat Rock Rd. This property has been a family...
Indoor Family Fun
Is Cabin Fever getting the best of you? Don’t stay home to avoid the cold, snow, or rain! There are plenty of fun INDOOR things to do in Louisville with your family. You may even be surprised by the amount of free things to do. If you have younger children like me, they will love making new memories and experiences with you.
Story time at the Library: We try to visit the library weekly for story time as these are kid-friendly FREE events. Day and time varies by location so check out the Louisville Public Library website for the Events Calendar. Some of the libraries offer play spaces, and the kids always learn a new song or skill during our visits. In addition to learning, they’re able to socialize with other kiddos their age so it’s...
Our Favorite Catering Services in Louisville
One of the best characteristics of Louisville is the heritage of hospitality. Many of us grew up hosting and making memories around the dinner table, and while I still enjoy cooking and baking from scratch, I like to have the option of help when life gets hectic. Whether you have a work party or you’re filling your home with friends and family, it’s nice to offer homemade cookin’ you’re proud of.
Here are just a few places that excel in catering if you’d prefer to let someone else take care of the baking and cooking: